BlogTips & Insights

How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Your Body (Even with Chronic Illness)

How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Your Body, Even with Chronic Illness | A Chronic Voicee

I’m sure you’ve noticed the commodities of love mushrooming around us at an alarming speed. Yes, Valentine’s Day is coming right up 😉 Amidst all the expressions of romantic love, I’d like to take some time to honour the bond I have with my body. It’s after all, the most intimate relationship I’ll ever have.

Pin to Your Self-Love Boards:
Honour the Bond with Your Body

Loving Our Bodies on a Daily Basis

Relationships require a great deal of effort, whether they’re romantic or not. They need time and attention in order to thrive, and to take root beneath the superficial. Our bodies are a relationship destined by birth, and not one we can separate from as and when we please. Like it or not, we need to learn to get along with it. Over time, you may even realise how much it wants to make you happy, as opposed to being the abusive bitch you thought it was.

There are many things we can do to love our bodies on a daily basis. These are often inconspicuous acts that don’t seem like much, but add up over time. Respect its limits, and listen to it with an open and empathetic mind. This is an important factor for any healthy relationship, and is no different with your body. Treat it with compassion, and watch the relationship grow stronger than ever before.

Pin to Your Chronic Illness & Self-Love Boards:

Respect Your Body's Limits
Treat Your Body with Compassion

Finding New Ways to Love Our Bodies

It’s difficult to love your body when it’s flawed, and wrecked with constant pain. But I’ve also come to appreciate the imperfections, for they are marks that set you and me apart. It can be frustrating when my body doesn’t go along with my plans, but compromises are the cornerstone of progress. These constant face-offs can be a drag, but I also get to pick up the most important life lessons at a younger age. I am forced to confront uncomfortable topics which society can choose to ignore. As a result, I become intimate with the elements of life, and learn how to navigate across its fierce ocean.

Your ideas of love will differ from mine, and there are a million and one ways to express them. So go ahead and unleash your creativity, but never leave sincerity out of the equation. No matter the state of your health, find that special rhythm with it. Speed isn’t of essence here; learn how to connect with your body, such that the dance through life is an enjoyable one.

Pin to Your Chronic Illness & Self-Care Boards:

Loving My Flawed Body
Compromises are the Cornerstone of Progress
Ideas of Love
Connect with Your Body

An Intimacy Like No Other

If there’s one thing I’ve become with my body due to illness, it is intimate. Many healthy people aren’t fully aware of changes happening within themselves, but I’ve gained a heightened sensitivity to it. This isn’t always pleasant, like a tooth with its nerves exposed, but it does provide crucial feedback. I am familiar with every nook and cranny of my broken body, and ‘gross’ functions no longer perturb me. In fact, I’m amazed by how much knowledge our blood and poop contains, and the process to produce them is pure art. In that sense, my body is the artist, and I am its medium.

I am comfortable with my scars and bruises, lumps and bumps; almost proud of them, in fact. Each one represents an event or milestone of healing or survival; each one owns a piece of my life story. Go ahead and look at them all you want – you have some of them yourself.

Pin to Your Chronic Illness Boards:
Scars are Stories of Survival

Commitment to Being a Better Partner

Whatever it is and as grim as it may sound, we have no choice but to make things work between us. The prize for clear communication, careful compromise, kindness and love, is a deeper understanding of who we are as a person. There will be days where we fail, but we can try to commit ourselves to being a better partner every day. In that way, we can live a rich and full life, no matter the length or circumstance.

Live well and love much, my friends. Oh, and Happy Valentine’s Day! 😉

Pin to Your Self-Love & Mental Health Boards:

A Deeper Understanding of Who We are as a Person
Commitment to Being a Better Partner to Ourselves

*Note: This article is meant for educational purposes and is based on the author’s personal experiences. It is not to be substituted for medical advice. Please consult your own doctor before changing or adding any new treatment protocols.

Read More: Would You Date a Person with Chronic Illness?

If you liked this article, sign up for our mailing list so you don’t miss out on our latest posts! You will also receive an e-book full of uplifting messages, quotes and illustrations, as a token of appreciation!

Pin & Help to Share the Post!
How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Your Body (Even with Chronic Illness)

How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Your Body (Even with Chronic Illness)

How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Your Body (Even with Chronic Illness)

Spread the Love:
Notify of
guest
59 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Shruti Chopra
July 7, 2020 00:05

I just had an “aaawww” moment with my body when I read “Over time, you may even realise how much it wants to make you happy, as opposed to being the abusive bitch you thought it was.”

There was a time when it was me vs my body but that thought process didn’t work to benefit me in any way and now we’re a team! We love what we have and we’re in this through the thick and thin.

I don’t know if I have ever mentioned this before but I absolutely love your style of writing. You mange to invoke so many feelings with the way you write. While reading this post, I suddenly reconnected with my body. Loved it.

Thank you Sheryl. 🙂

Claire
July 6, 2020 20:48

Really great post Sheryl. I always try and focus on all the things my body can do, rather than what it does to annoy me! I guess that comes back to gratitude, which seems so important with chronic illness.

Nikki Albert
Nikki Albert
February 5, 2020 07:51

I firmly believe we need to have a little self-compassion for our embodied selves.

Jo Moss
February 4, 2020 01:07

I love this Sheryl. I have spent most of my life at war with my body due to eating disorders. It wasn’t until my body failed and became riddled with pain, that I learned to respect it – I’m still working on the loving it part.

Marlynn | UrbanBlissLife
February 2, 2020 14:31

Love this! These are all such important reminders!

The Frugal Samurai
February 1, 2020 09:08

Hope it works out for you Sheryl, and thanks for sharing this article – body and mind is the most important things in life, rest are just details.

Olufunke
Olufunke
February 1, 2020 05:21

If I’m guilty of anything right now, it would be not loving my body enough. Although, it’s not entirely my fault. It’s because my body seems to have a mind of it’s own and hardly pay attention to me anymore.
The scars, I’ve acceped, the pain is harder. How can you love a body that doesn’t allow you to live your life in ways that bring you happiness and fulfilment?

Christine
February 3, 2020 19:51
Reply to  Sheryl Chan

And also just to add. We should teach our minds how to respect our bodies.
Love your content from the first moment i saw it . Great stuff. Keep it up

Christopher Mitchell
January 31, 2020 12:08

Great stuff, I think we need to consider this kind of stuff now more than ever!

Laura
Laura
January 31, 2020 05:12

It’s so important to love your body and get to know it. Sometimes we forget how important our body is x

Amber
January 31, 2020 04:30

I’m still working on it but I decided a few years ago I was going to take time to love me, body and all, and put me first. This post really hits home

Laura
Laura
January 31, 2020 04:22

It’s so important to love and know your own body. I feel so many times we don’t take care of it as we should. I try to be more healthy this year x

Margaret | Live Like No One Else
Margaret | Live Like No One Else
January 31, 2020 04:13

Love how you write about becoming more intimate with your body. Knowing it and it’s limitations. One thing I’m sure is how much we take for granted when we are healthy. I remember pulling a muscle in my neck one time and I was bed ridden for several days, couldn’t even move. My husband had to even carry me to the bathroom. If it wasn’t for such instances, I wouldn’t appreciate my body when it is healthy. Thanks for the reminder.

Jody
January 31, 2020 03:39

Wonderful post and a fantastic reminder to all. It has taken a long time to have a healthy relationship with my own self. I now love all of me. I love having reminders to continue growing and learning and accepting myself.

Chelsea Sauve
Chelsea Sauve
January 31, 2020 02:28

I love the body positive approach to honouring the bond with your body. That’s beautiful, and a message that needs to be widely appreciated. Thanks for this lovely post.

Celebrate Woman Today
January 30, 2020 23:37

Sheryl,
Thank you for sharing this with us all in a very gentle, yet vivid way.
I love how you put it, ‘Commitment to Being a Better Partner,’ while speaking about your body. Our bodies are indeed magical and full of wonder. And all this magic reveals to us when we become so much more attuned to them.

Jhentea Guzman
Jhentea Guzman
January 30, 2020 22:42

Great reminder to love ourselves or our body. Sometimes we don’t appreciate our physical appearance because society dictates a different standard when it comes to beauty. We should define our own.

Margaret
Margaret
January 31, 2020 04:14
Reply to  Jhentea Guzman

Love this so much! ♥

Gervin Khan
Gervin Khan
January 30, 2020 20:54

This is such a nice and very insightful post to read. I have a lot of flaws and I hated my body because of that but my family helping me to realized that I need to learn to accept and love my flaws for me to start loving my body again. And now, even I am gaining weight because of giving birth I still love my body because I knew that I have a husband and a family that strongly supporting now matter what happen and no matter what I look.

Dana
Dana
January 30, 2020 20:26

Excellent post. No one is truly happy about each piece of there body, however, it is how God made us and someone will love us for it.

Lyosha
January 30, 2020 18:50

It is such a helpful article full of insight! Loving your body and being in peace with it is a key

Jessica Collazo
January 30, 2020 10:58

I always take my body to the limit in terms of sleeping. Sometimes my Insomnia takes the best of me. Thanks for this tips. We have to learn to respect and love our bodies.

Chad
Chad
January 30, 2020 07:00

Amazing amazing amazing article Sheryl, I can’t thank you enough for talking about this. Self-acceptance is a huge goal for me for this year.

dSavannah
January 30, 2020 05:38

All great thoughts, especially “It’s difficult to love your body when it’s flawed”. Boy howdy is it.

@dSavannahCreate from dSavannahRambles xoxo

Katie Clark
January 29, 2020 04:18

I’ve saved this post to read again and again. Just when I feel like my body and I are connecting and have an understanding, bam! We’re in a fight today, and I needed this to help me get beyond anger and discouragement. Thanks.?

Jenny
February 7, 2019 22:37

I really enjoyed this post, espcially the part about finding a new intimacy with your body. This is such a lovely way to look at things. And it’s so true, I’m so much more grounded in my body than I used to be.

Jenny
February 5, 2019 20:17

I love this post Sheryl, my body has been through so much, I have so much more respect for it when I was ‘well’ and just worried about how it looked!

Despite Pain
February 4, 2019 02:39

This is a great post. It becomes easy to hate our bodies because of how they function so badly. But hating our bodies, is like hating ourselves. We need to learn how to love again.

Claire Saul
February 13, 2018 02:37

Pretty much a love letter to ourselves – that is us spoonies. Great post Sheryl – sharing!!

Kirsten
Kirsten
February 13, 2018 02:23

I really love this article. I used to look at my body as my enemy when I first got ill, but through the years I slowly learned more to take care of it. I think whenever I have a high pain day I’m gonna come back to this piece. It’s a great eye opener that we should not be angry at our bodies but we should comfort it. After all, it’s the only body we were given so we might aswell treat it right.

Pearl R Meaker
February 12, 2018 03:12

This really hit home for me as I don’t like, let along love, my body very much. We are wonderfully made and even when things are wrong, our bodies are still amazing.

Thank you for the reminder to honor my body for the marvelous creation it is.

Hugs!